Thursday, December 18, 2008

Silver lining

This week has s-u-c-k-e-d at work. Too busy, too much stuff going on, too many changes, too many worries, etc. I was working late and pondering skipping class. I went anyway. I am glad that I did.

We did forms- I like forms- and I even got to demonstrate some. Then we took
BOB

And Billy- ours is green

And a couple of free standing bags off of their stands and put them on that mat to practice different grappling.
Then we practiced being a ref :P, but that meant that we eventually grappled. I actually got the young guy (early 20s) with whom I am to test near to submitting. He never actually tapped 'cause I think that he was holding out. I also managed to elude being submitted, mostly 'cause he kept trying to do this and I managed to avoid it.

I was pretty happy w/myself. Grappling consistently drives me batty 'cause I don't like our sport approach, but I soldier on and it finally paid off. Yipee.

There's not a non-hokey way to say it, but I know that it is not me. Romans 14:6 "He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks."

Thanks for stopping by.

9 comments:

Bruce said...

rock on. sounds like fun. my instructor sead some thing i didnt agree with last night. he said that a submission style hold is not great in a real self defence situation because once you have a hold of them, then what? refering to the fact that once someone taps out an you let go they are ready to fight again. i though he was forgetting the obvious. if i get you in an arm bar for example, im not going to try to get you to tap out, im going to try to break your arm. sounds like fun though. you should come visit my school some time, i think i can assure a welcome.

timpani76 said...

Yeah, I agree with the arm breaking theory of Bruce.

I think Erik should visit Bruce's school just to see what other schools are doing.

Eyepoke said...

So, the guy you were grappling with- he kept trying to do what again? Which guy in the diagram was you? Which one was him?

Bruce said...

he was trying to put him into an arm bar. eric is the one with his arm in the other guys crotch.

Hoba Chi said...

Right- o, Bruce, saving he never got to that point as I could feel it coming. Interestingly enough, he does the technique really well and was asked to demonstrate the class or so before.

I'm with you on the break vs. submit on the street, Bruce. If you are going for that, it should be too break, not get 'em to say "uncle." Choke- maybe- if you want that.

Eyepoke said...

geeez.. i was kidding!

Bruce said...

i think i would choke untill passout instead of tap out

Hoba Chi said...

Sifu tells us to talk to the person, which I am okay with. (Kind of like what my brother is learning as a Marine MP. You use pain compliance and tell them to- well- comply and if they don't you cause more pain.)

Renae said...

So, that heavy bag on the bottom, is that to train you to beat up the chubby kid at school?