Sunday, September 21, 2008

So much to blog, so little time.

My wife suggests that I would get more comments if I posted more than once a week. Don't know that I can do that, but I wanted to post something. Thought I'd just blather about my week and go from there.
I played D & D Friday night at my friend Dave's house. We are playing the new 4th edition rules and it's different. This version, among other things, tries to bring the newer generation brought up on games like World of Warcraft- essentially inspired by D & D- back to the pen and paper- and laptop- sit down with a group of people live-and-in-person gaming. The raw mechanics are good, but the flavor is still bothering me. Essentially, the mechanics of everyone's abilities are the same, but it has different wording. Wizards of the Coast- the publisher- was trying to level all the basic classes (fighter, mage, thief, priest), so no one felt like they were not doing something. (Shaking head.)
Now, I always say that no matter what the rules, if someone spins a good yarn, I will play the game. My friend Dave spins a good yarn. D & D and other role playing games (RPGs) are basically sharing your idea of a fantasy world with some friends and making a story together.
Thursday night I did not go to my Kajukenbo class. :( Between Timpani's back and all of us being sick, September was just a wash for that. That's bad too because maybe turning 38 was working on my brain on some levels because I have been feeling very round shaped. Not good.
I decided to go back in October. I started stretching again this week at work and standing in a horse stance for a few minutes to begin getting back into it. (I also surprised Timpani by suggesting a walk one night.) Hope for the best.
I will try to find the youtube video that I watch when I am standing in a horse stance. In Kajukenbo and a lot of traditional martial arts, you stand in a horse stance for extended periods of time. To pace myself, I put on this video of a guy from Chile testing for his brown belt in Kenpo. (It is about a 5 minute video done to Breaking Benjamin's song "You.") I use that video 'cause the guy had meningitis when he was a baby and was told he would never walk. It's a good way to remind myself how much of a wuss I am standing still for 5 minutes when this guy is blessed to move at all.
Why the heck allow someone to indent while composing, if the indention will not appear in post? I guess I need to figure out the HTML for that. :P
I finally changed my play list back. I think that I was holding onto active remembering of 9/11 just a bit more.
I also added a reading list to my page.

More later....

7 comments:

lizS said...

I sorta wonder if the 70's (or early 80's whatever) when D+D was invented was kinda the the only window of modern history in which D+D could have been invented- to ... spooky and imaginative for the 50's, not quite drugged out enough for the 60's... and by the time we get to the 90's why would you ever bother inventing an RPG for play without a computer? Gary Gygax, had he been born a decade or so later might have invented nothing more than just another video game...

Glad he didn't, but I wonder how much apeal D+D will have to the younger generations. Certainly if I had had computer technology available when I ran my game as a teenager I would have had stuff like 3,5, and 7 sided dice... character sheets would have been spread sheets... lots of hyperlinks- the game lends itself very naturally to computers, I think (as does everything almost)- It will be interestig to see in what form the game morphs in the future.

But kudos to Gary Gygax for thinking out of the box! A fantasy game with no fixed rules, no winner, and no real way to know when it's over! Who'd a thought it would shape/change forever the whole fantasy genre in with a Tolkien-like impact?!

John (not Liz)

lizS said...

my own recent experiences with illness has given me an entirely new perspective on being healthy and in shape. it's just no good for me to take my inherent health for granted anymore. i want to be up and doing! i want to reach that next level, just because i'm alive and i can! sappy, i know, and i don't mean to wax overly philosophical, but i really believe more than i ever have that being lazy is just about the worst thing you can do with this awe inspiring and clearly unbeatable gift that God has given us; our bodies and the health and strength to MOVE them!

Hoba Chi said...

Actually, Gygax gets credit from a lot of the fantasy computer game developers for starting them out. Just about any game out there has some variation on hit points, armor class and a dozen other D & D concepts. The mathematics did lend itself easily to the computer age also.

Dana Cheryl said...

I remember D&D. I played a few times in secret with my older cousins. Cause you know D&D led to devil worship & kids killing their parents. Or so thought my mom, aunts, uncles, preachers, etc... etc... :)

I have several friends playing World of Warcraft and I know that I'd enjoy it. Yet I know that it'd suck all my remaining time away into cyber world. D&D would be a nice alternative but it's hard to find folks that play.

Liz, that was really motivating and not sappy. Thanks for sharing!

Bruce said...

no no liz was right it was sappy. i know a guy that was asked to leave the college he was at(happend to be a christian college) because he went a bit crazy with D & D. so then he started playing magic in stead. now he has married into my fam and is a preacher. and i feel your pain on the getting back into shape for martial arts class. i just cant do what i could when i was 17. and i can comit the time to doing now. sucks. but my kids go to class with me though so at least that is a pluss.

timpani76 said...

Why the hack have Erik & John never played D&D together???

Hoba Chi said...

I'm sorry that I did not comment on your comment, Liz. I thought that it was still John posting incognito. So yay you!

Bruce, so Magic was acceptable but not D & D? It is a black mark in the Israeli Army if you play D & D as they consider someone's hold on reality insufficiently tight.

Dana, want to play D & D? Find a gaming store and many times they will have games posted. Be warned, like many of the women who post here, you will find that the guys might act like they are in high school again around you. Gamer girls are still rare.

Bruce Moose, thanks for the words of encouragement.

I do enjoy it when Vance and QQ imitate me. I have a good picture of Vance doing a posture with me. I am hoping to start him in Judo.