Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11- Cathartic ramblings

Kudos to Bruce for starting this out. I meant to post never-the-less.

I made a special playlist. The Enya song usually really gets me, but the Flogging Mollys bagpipe Amazing Grace made me think of all the NYC Cops and Firemen.

I noted on Bruce's blog that when the first planes hit, I was running late to what was a 3 week old job for me. I did not really find out what was happening until I got in. I was mad and sad at the same time. Mostly almost crying sad. For the next few days after, it was strange not seeing the planes in the sky.

There was good that came out of that disaster. NYC lost its bad rep. People respected and loved the Police, the Firemen and the US armed forces again. Americans stood together first to help each other and then to work on making sure it would not happen again. People turned to God again. Families turned to one another.

After 9/11, taking the national radio host Glenn Beck's example, I always thank anyone I see or that I know who is or has been in the armed forces. I just walk up and say, "Thank you for your service." They always are grateful and unfortunately are sometimes surprised. (One time, I was coming out of an Arby's and I saw a motorcycle that had Marine decorations all over it. I waited a minute and a guy with a close cut hair came out. I asked, "You a marine?" He looked like he thought I was going to give him crap and said, "yeah." I put out my hand and said thanks for your service. He smiled and said, "no problem.")

I could note some negatives, but I just hope that we can remember the lesson to stand together for love and defense.

That's about it.

Pax via magno- peace through strength- Motto of the USS Ronald Reagan

Love-

Erik

3 comments:

Bruce said...

i remember how close we came together as a country. flags every where. people proud of being american. it saddens me do see how far we have moved in the other direction. i love my country. i dont ever want some thing like 9/11 to happen again.

Dana Cheryl said...

For a few months we were all proud to be Americans. (Except for Michelle Obama apparently) Adversity strengthens character.

I remember that even the local drug dealer back home in Kentucky started flying the flag. :)

I remember the signs on the stores supporting people they'd never met who'd lost a loved one. They were hard but beautiful times.

timpani76 said...

Great tribute/memorial play list sweetie! I listened to it all, and I liked the "Lightning Crashes" one the best.