Thursday, January 29, 2009

Woman, Wife, Mother, Mechanic... TIMPANI!

Some of you may know, I am not completely disinclined mechanically, but I am supremely uninspired in that direction. Don't want to do it. No big interest in it. Rather find someone who wants to do it. I am trying to break the male-stereotype on cars.
Enter the wife. Likes to do it. Likes to learn. We're not to the point of putting in our own hydraulic jack, but she does basic repairs. She has changed spark plugs, battery cables and several batteries. Last night while I bathed the kids, she changed my ailing car's battery. (If I let it sit for two days w/o starting it, I needed a jump.) It was probably a good two hours total in the cold. My only contribution was ticking her off and holding the light.
I am very grateful that my wife is inclined to fix the car.

Grateful mechanically uninspired husband

P. S. Cars don't know that I am less inclined mechanically. When I worked at Emerson a woman asked me to look at her car as it would not start. (She did not know me well enough regarding cars, but trusted to ask me.) I shrugged, opened the hood and looked sternly at the engine. (Nothing was on fire, so it looked fine to me. ;) ) She got it in, turned the key and it started right up. The car did not know me that well either. :)

7 comments:

Mary said...

Wow! Your wife sounds incredibly useful. I'm thrilled for you! ;)

Bruce said...

i told my sister once that she had a blinker out but that the only prob was that she was low on blinker fluid, that i had filled it and every thing was ok now. she was very greatfull for the help, she didnt even know she had a blinker out.

Eyepoke said...

Like the story about fixing that dame's car at work! WTG!

Eyepoke said...

The car thing is not as universal a guy thing as people think anyway. BTW are you ingnoring the SuperBowl too? Next year we should get together and have an Ignore the SuperBowl party! (cant this year, sorry- roadtrip!) I guess we could ingore it after the fact though... yeah why not? whaddaya say?

Bruce said...

i like the super bowl. i plan on finding it on the raido on the way home

Eyepoke said...

gr8

Renae said...

Timpani Rocks!