Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Costume

As noted, I came up with a costume with which I was pretty happy: Harry Dresden- Wizard, the main character of the Jim Butcher novels that I have been reading. (Timpani adjusted her previous faerie costume to be a specific character from the books named Aurora who is part of the summer faerie hierarchy. She is referred to as the Summer Lady.)

I borrowed a leather fedora from Timpani's step-dad. I made a "blasting rod" out of a 10" light stick and some electrical tape. (In the books, Harry is bullish with his fire magic, so he has the blasting rod to focus it.)


Mok lent me his leather duster. I made a staff out of PVC, electrical tape and a glowstick. (Harry's duster is enchanted to resist physical attacks including bullets.)










This was a fortuitous bit of decoration at the Crane's place. In the books, Harry cannot use computers and most other electronics because magic disrupts them. Because of that, he has a spirit that lives in a skull named "Bob." Bob acts like a computer for research. I thought this would look Harry talking to Bob.










I made business cards that I printed out at the library. Through that wonder that Harry cannot access, the internet, I found what is written on Harry's cards and added the address and phone number which I found on the series' web site. (The series only lasted a season, but was still cool.)

I probably wore the get up less than a couple of hours, left the majority of my business cards in Mark's coat and the light stick never really lit the staff like I hoped, but it was still cool.

2 comments:

timpani76 said...

It was the best costume Erik has ever had!

Bruce said...

i have not done a proper costume in years. i was going to be a viking this year but did not have the time or matereals to make said costume. some day i will reenter the world of costumed people.